Deprecation of AIP Classic client and Label Management in Azure portal
Microsoft announced the deprecation of label management in Azure portal and AIP classic client: http://aka.ms/aipclassicsunset
What does it mean for you?
- Label management in Azure portal will not be supported after March 31, 2021.
- Customers should activate unified labeling and move to Microsoft 365 Security and Compliance Center.
- AIP Classic client will not be supported after March 31, 2021.
- Customers should use the built-in labeling in Office ProPlus as the preferred option or upgrade to AIP Unified Labeling Client. More Information about built-in sensitivity labels support in Office ProPlus here: LINK
Features not planned to be in the Azure Information Protection unified labeling client
Azure Information Protection unified labeling client is still under development, the following features from the classic client will not be available in future releases for the unified labeling client:
- Custom permissions as a separate option that users can select in Office apps: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Track and revoke from Office apps and File Explorer
- Information Protection bar title and tooltip
- Protection-only mode (no labels) using templates
- Protect PDF document as .ppdf format
- Display the Do Not Forward button in Outlook
- Demo policy
- Justification for removing protection
- Confirmation prompt Do you want to delete this label? for users when you don't use the policy setting for justification
- Separate PowerShell cmdlets to connect to a Rights Management service
- Features that Microsoft do not plan to ship for Unified Labeling are deprecated from March 31, 2021.
What should customers do if they use an AIP features that will not be available in Unified Labeling?
If a customer is using or waiting for features that are planned to ship like HYOK, Track and Revoke, Event Log for AIP Client etc. These customers can file a File for extended support. The form allows customers to ask for extended support. Details:
- Customer must specify the reason for extended support and provide Microsoft with number of impacted users.
- Customer must activate unified labeling before 3/31/2020 to be able to ask for extended support.
- Customer must file the request for extended support before 3/31/2020.